Land Use Planning Harmonisation
Council is reviewing the multiple land use plans that currently apply to different parts of the City of Parramatta Local Government Area (LGA). This work will create a single Local Environmental Plan (LEP) and Development Control Plan (DCP) that will apply to the whole LGA.
Why is Council doing this?
In May 2016, the new City of Parramatta LGA was created from parts of the former council areas of Auburn, Holroyd, Hornsby, Parramatta and The Hills. As a result, different planning controls currently apply to different parts of the LGA.
The land use planning harmonisation process will create a clear and more consistent set of planning controls for the whole LGA.
What stage is the project at?
On 11 November 2019, Council endorsed draft proposals (known as a “Planning Proposal”) for a new consolidated LEP.
The Planning Proposal does not propose major changes to zoning or increases to density controls. However, in order to create a single LEP, some changes are proposed to the planning controls currently applying in certain areas. These include:
- changes to the types of development that are allowed in certain areas, including where dual occupancies can be built;
- changes to bring a consistent approach to height and floor space ratio controls applying to residential zones; and
- a limited number of changes to the zoning of some sites to address inconsistencies and anomalies across current land use plans.
The Planning Proposal documentation can be viewed on the NSW LEPs Online website.
Feedback on the Land Use Planning Harmonisation Discussion Paper
The Planning Proposal has been informed by community and stakeholder feedback received on a Discussion Paper that outlined various options for harmonising planning controls. A consultation report summarising the feedback received, and providing Council officer responses to the key issues raised, has been prepared. The report can be downloaded from the Resources tab below.
The Planning Proposal has been submitted to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment for its review and approval to proceed to formal public exhibition (called a “Gateway Determination”).
Alongside the preparation of the consolidated LEP, Council is also progressing work to prepare a draft consolidated development control plan for the LGA, which will contain detailed design controls and standards for different types of development. Once prepared, the draft DCP will be reported to Council for approval to proceed to public exhibition.
When the draft LEP and draft DCP are placed on public exhibition, there will be a further opportunity for the community and stakeholders to provide feedback at that time.
- Consultation Report on Land Use Planning Harmonisation Discussion Paper
- Link to Planning Proposal documentation
- Local Planning Panel Report on the Planning Proposal
- Local Planning Panel Advice on the Planning Proposal
- Council Report on the Planning Proposal (refer to Item 18.2, starting on page 556)
- Council Resolution on the Planning Proposal (refer to Item 18.2, starting on page 14)
- Land Use Planning Harmonisation Discussion Paper (January 2019)
You can call the Land Use Planning Harmonisation team on (02) 9806 5050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have accessibility concerns, please contact the National Relay Service and provide them with the City of Parramatta contact number: (02) 9806 5050.