parramatta cbd planning proposal - overview
Parramatta is located at the geographical centre of Sydney and is a focus for employment, housing, recreation and cultural opportunities. Parramatta sits at the heart of Sydney’s Central City and is undergoing major revitalisation. To fully realise its potential, Parramatta must stimulate significant job and dwelling growth to increase its social and economic prosperity.
To manage the significant growth and changes in the CBD, Council has prepared a Planning Proposal to amend the planning controls for the Parramatta CBD contained in Parramatta Local Environmental Plan 2011 (PLEP 2011).
The purpose of the Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal is to:
- provide for an expanded and more intense commercial core to strengthen and facilitate the role of Parramatta as a dual CBD
- support the CBD as a vibrant centre by surrounding the core with higher density mixed use.
The Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal uses the Parramatta CBD Planning Strategy as its basis. Adopted by Council in April 2015, this strategy established a vision for growth, principles and actions to guide a new planning framework and an implementation plan for delivery.
On 11 April 2016, Council endorsed the draft Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal and resolved to seek a Gateway Determination from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE).
Since forwarding the draft Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal (including a number of technical studies) to DPE in April 2016, Council has forwarded additional studies and materials in support of the original draft Planning Proposal as follows:
- 10 April 2017: Parramatta CBD Strategic Transport Study and additional material on the proposed value sharing mechanism
- 10 July 2017: Parramatta CBD Heritage Study of Interface Areas
- 27 July 2017: Addendum to the High Performing Buildings Study
- 22 November 2017: Application with supporting studies for Exceptional Circumstances to apply flood planning controls above the 1-in-100 year Flood Planning Level
- 11 December 2017: Council resolution in response to the Parramatta CBD Heritage Study of Interface Areas in relation to Marion Street
- 10 September 2018: Council resolution in relation to certain policy issues affected the Parramatta CBD Panning Proposal
The above changes, as well as amendments to Parramatta LEP 2011 that have been gazetted since April 2016, are indicated on a new set of consolidated maps for the draft Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal:
- Current consolidated maps for draft Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal (as at September 2018)
Gateway determination received
Council received a Gateway Determination from DPE on 13 December 2018. The Gateway Determination contains a number of conditions including requirements for further studies, amendments and consultation with Government agencies. Council is currently reviewing these conditions in detail and commencing work to address the issues raised. Once Council has addressed all the conditions of the Gateway Determination to the satisfaction of DPE, it will be able to proceed to public exhibition.
A copy of the Gateway Determination and supporting DPE assessment report can be downloaded here
parramatta cbd planning proposal - detailed information
Draft Planning Proposal for the Parramatta CBD
On 11 April 2016, Council adopted the draft Planning Proposal for the Parramatta CBD to seek a Gateway Determination from the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE). The Determination will outline whether the planning proposal can proceed (with or without variation) and subject to certain conditions. These conditions may require further studies being undertaken, public consultation, public hearings, agency consultation and time frames. It is anticipated that following Council’s endorsement, the planning proposal will be publicly exhibited (subject to Council satisfying all conditions). Submissions received during public exhibition will be considered and reported to Council along with any changes to the draft planning controls.
In addition, a number of technical studies were undertaken to support the development of the Planning Proposal. These studies relate to heritage, flooding, economic analysis, infrastructure funding, transport and high performing buildings. These are included as Appendices to the Planning Proposal or are substantially underway.
- Auto Alley Preliminary Contamination Investigation 26 February 16
- Current Planning Controls and Maps
- Council Report and Resolution 14 December 2015
- Council Report and Resolution 8 February 2016 Infrastructure Funding Review Committee
- Council Report and Resolution 7 December 2015
- Council Report and Resolution 11 April 2016
- Draft LEP Maps
- Draft Updated Parramatta Flood Risk Management Plans
- Economic Review Achieving A-Grade Office Space in the Parramatta CBD 2015
- Heritage Study - CBD Planning Controls Urbis
- Infrastructure Delivery Plan - Cover Sheet
- Infrastructure Funding Models Study - Cover Sheet
- Parramatta CBD High Performing Buildings Study
- Parramatta CBD Planning Strategy
- Potential Draft LEP Provisions
- Sustainability and Infrastructure Study
Strategic Transport Study and Value Sharing Information
On 10 April 2017, Council made resolutions in relation to transport and value sharing, which resulted in additional information being submitted to DPE.
Parramatta CBD Strategic Transport Study
- Council Report 10 April 2017
- Council Resolution 10 April 2017
- Parramatta CBD Strategic Transport Study
- Parramatta CBD Strategic Transport Study - Technical Paper 001 - CBD Benchmarking
- Parramatta CBD Strategic Transport Study - Technical Paper 002 - Strategic Traffic and Transport Analysis
- Parramatta CBD Strategic Transport Study - Technical Paper 003 - Parking Review
- Council Report 10 April 2017 – Attachment 5
- Council Report 10 April 2017
- Council Resolution 10 April 2017
- Infrastructure Funding Models Study
- Infrastructure Funding Models Appendices
parramatta cbd heritage study of interface areas
On 10 July 2017, Council endorsed further information relating to the Parramatta CBD Heritage Study of Interface Areas, which resulted in additional information being submitted to DPE.
- Council Report 10 July 2017
- Council Resolution 10 July 2017
- Parramatta CBD Heritage Study of Interface Areas – Part 1
- Parramatta CBD Heritage Study of Interface Areas – Part 2
- Council adopted Response to Parramatta CBD Heritage Study of Interface Areas
On 27 July 2017, Council forwarded an Addendum to the High Performing Buildings Study submitted as part of the original Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal. The purpose of the addendum was to test the impact of changes to BASIX that had been made at that time, and ascertain whether the new bonus LEP clause in the CBD PP would be impacted. The Addendum report recommends that the draft LEP provision remains unchanged.
application for the exceptional circumstances - flooding
On 22 November 2017, Council forwarded to DPE an application with supporting studies for Exceptional Circumstances to apply flood planning controls above the 1-in-100 year Flood Planning Level. Council had resolved to seek exceptional circumstances as part of the resolution for the original Draft Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal on 11 April 2016.
- Letter to DPE Re Application for Exceptional Circumstances
- Application for Exceptional Circumstances - Parramatta CBD
- Attachment 1 Draft Update of Parramatta Floodplain Risk Management Plans 2016
- Attachment 2 Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal as endorsed April 2016 (refer above)
- Attachment 3 Summary of Council Flood Risk Management Activities
- Attachment 4 Parramatta CBD Flood Evacuation Assessment
- Attachment 5 Horizontal Evacuation Pilot Study for Parramatta CBD
amendment to council's position in response to the Parramatta CBD heritage study of interface areas in relation to Marion street
On 11 December 2017, Council endorsed further information being sent to DPE as part of a resolution in response to consideration of a Site Specific Planning Proposal for 33-43 Marion Street, Parramatta. This related to a change to Council’s position in relation to draft planning controls for Marion Street (east of High Street) under the draft Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal.
- Council’s letter to DPE dated 24 January 2018
- Council Report and Resolution on this matter, 11 December 2017
- Changes to Incentive Height of Buildings map as a result of this resolution
- Changes to Incentive Floor Space Ratio map as a result of this resolution
Policy issues affecting the Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal
On 10 September 2018, Council made resolutions in relation to a number of policy issues affecting the Parramatta CBD Planning proposal as follows:
- Setback of towers to Church Street to protect heritage streetscape,
- Performance provisions relating to Opportunity Site bonus FSR.
- Application of the proposed High Performing Buildings Bonus to mixed use developments with an FSR of at least 6:1.
- Value Sharing Mechanism.
The relevant maps have been amended in accordance with the Council resolution and forwarded onto DPE.
The DPE has been provided with a copy of the Council Report and Resolution to assist with its processing of the Gateway Determination.
• Council letter to DPE dated 18 September 2018
• Council Report of 10 September 2018
• Council Resolution of 10 September 2018
• Changes to the Height of Buildings Map as per the resolution
• Changes to the Incentive Height of Buildings Map as per the resolution
• Changes to the Incentive Floor Space Ratio Map as per the resolution
Parramatta Square is a three hectare mixed use redevelopment precinct located in the Parramatta CBD. The precinct is bounded by Church, Macquarie, Smith and Darcy Streets.
Parramatta Square will see Parramatta emerge as a vibrant, connected and liveable city in the heart of Sydney. For latest updates on Parramatta Square, please visit the Parramatta Square webpage.
If you would like to discuss any part of the Parramatta CBD Planning Proposal or need further information, please contact the Land Use Planning team on 9806 5050.