If you are a cat owner, City of Parramatta recommends that you desex your pet and keep your cat indoors, after feeding at night, so that you’ll never have to worry about where your cat has wandered off to.
Collar and tag
Cats are required to wear a collar and tag on public land, The tag should include your pet's name and your contact number. You could be fined up to $180 for non compliance.
If you own a cat, you understand that cats know no boundaries, and that they tend to roam. Because of this intrinsic nature of cats to enjoy the freedom to roam, City of Parramatta is unable to pick up cats as it's difficult to tell a stray from a pet. If there are stray cats in your area:
- do not feed the cat unless you can fully ascertain that the animal belongs to no one
- minimise access to spaces where cats can breed and seal areas under your house
- take stray/feral cats and kittens to Blacktown City Council Animal Holding Facility (corner of Flushcombe Road and Great Western Highway Blacktown) for evaluation
- call The Cat Protection Society of NSW on 9519 7201 to see if they can re-home strays. The Cat Protection Society of NSW is a not-for-profit charity and may not have funds, staff or room to take stray kittens
- hire and set a cat trap to humanely catch stray cats. Cat traps are not for domesticated cats. A domesticated cat may seem 'feral' in a cage, as frightened animals can act differently in a stressful situation. If you have caught what you know to be a domesticated cat, you must immediately release it so that it can return home
Hire a Cat Trap
City of Parramatta Council has four cat traps for residents to hire for free. You will need to:
- call 9806 5000 and see if there are any traps available
- complete a hire form if there is a trap available
- agree to the conditions of hire
- collect the trap
- pay a fully refundable bond of $150 via cash, MasterCard or Visa card
- return the cage within 14 days. If it is not returned within 14 days of hire, you will lose your bond
You will need to provide food for the trap and transport any captured feral cats to Blacktown Animal Holding Facility (domesticated cats must be released immediately). If the cat trap catches a domesticated cat, release the cat. Blacktown Animal Holding Facility will ask you to return the cat if they find it has a microchip.
If Blacktown Animal Holding Facility find the cat to be feral, City of Parramatta will pay for euthanasia.
Your cat is prohibited from wildlife protection areas and food consumption/preparation areas. $180 on-the-spot fines will be issued for non compliance.